Preheat oven to 400º F (or turn Broiler on high)
1. Wash peppers and dry completely
2. Cut in half and remove seeds. Better to do this than scoop seeds out of soft, floppy roasted peppers.
3. Place peppers on a baking sheet- tip: Line sheet with foil (not pictured) to keep the juice of the peppers from staining or sticking to the sheet.
4. Place baking sheet with peppers in broiler or on the top rack of oven.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping after 20 minutes.
6. Once peppers are charred and wrinkly, remove from oven.
7. Place roasted peppers into a brown paper bag and close bag. Wait approximately 30 minutes until peppers have cooled. This makes it much easier to remove the skin.
8. Remove peppers from bag and peel off skin. They’re ready to eat!
Homemade Roasted Red Peppers:
Now, back to the hummus…
Roasted Red Pepper and Basil Hummus
2 cans (30 oz total) Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained
1/4+ c. Water (can add more for thinner texture)
4 Tbsp Lemon juice
3 cloves Garlic
1 tsp Salt
1/2 c. Roasted Bell Peppers (Can be found in a glass jar in your grocery store)
2 tsp Dried Basil
1. Add all ingredients to a food processor or high-powered blender (I use my Vitamix). Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add more water for thinner consistency.
Enjoy with fresh veggies, crackers, or bread of choice.