Brownies were always my favorite dessert as a kid. The richer the better, even if that meant feeling sick after eating them. Who’s with me on this one? Occasions of wiping my brownie plate clean at a restaurant and quickly regretting the decision as I attempted to lug myself to the car without bursting at the seams were frequent. Nevertheless, I still ordered brownies for dessert when given the chance.
What I adore about this brownie-like fudge is the fact that I don’t feel heavy or stuffed after eating one (or three…) squares, and they have healthy ingredients! These are gluten-free, sugar-free, and are very addictive. Beware!
If you are not a fan of peanut butter, you can use almond butter or omit the nut butter altogether. I will try not to judge you.
Here are some tasty variations:
- Substitute PB for another nut butter (almond, cashew, or sunflower seed butter)
- Add 1/4 c. Coconut flakes
- Stir in 1/4 c. Walnut pieces in the last step
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies
9 Medjool Dates (1 cup)
1-2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
1/4 c. Peanut Butter (use addition amount for optional pb topping)
1. Remove pits from dates and soak in warm water for a few minutes to soften. Drain water.
2. Add all ingredients except peanut butter to a food processor or high-power blender until completely smooth. As usual, I use my Vitamix!
3. Once smooth, add peanut butter and mix again until well incorporated.
4. Pour mix onto a plate or pan with wax paper and flatten out to desired shape.
5. Place in freezer until hardened and cut into squares.
Store in refrigerator or freezer until read to serve.